This page last changed 2021.12.22 13:51
Repairing, Adjusting, and Getting Around Issues at Home
Making Hard-to-Open Vinyl Windows Slide Easily
You have multiple pane replacement vinyl windows and they have become very hard to open. You are not alone.
Summary of steps from the Know How Now video.
Have on hand:
- Soapy water
- Silicone spray lubricant
- WD-40 spray
- White Lithium Grease
- Paper towels
Here's what to do:
- Use soapy water to clean up and down the tracks on either side. Also clean the screen tracks.
- Apply silicone spray to the areas that were cleaned
- Avoid getting any on the window glass
- If this fixes the problem then you are done. Continue if you still have issues.
- Lift window up from frame. Push the spring-loaded tilt releases on left and right, tilt in the window. If you see spiral things on both side, they are called “spiral balances” and they likely need cleaning.
- Spray WD-40 on paper towel till it's soaked
- Use this to remove grease from the spriral (wipe up/down)
- Then use a clean paper towel to remove the WD-40 residue
- Apply the grease to the sprials, with fingers protected (gloves or plastic bag) spread the grease over the spirals
- Put the sash back into the window
- Lift it up, and using paper towel remove any grease residue in the tracks
- You are done!
If sash is still hard to lift or flies up by itself, there is a tool you can use to adjust the spirals.
This page has been visited 1 time today, 0 time yesterday, and 248 total times